Monday, November 2, 2015

Asthma Drug: Rejuvenating Aging Brains

INTRODUCTION:
An anti-asthmetic drug was used in various trials with rats to determine its benefits on the aging brain. The inhibition of the leukotriene receptor signaling might be the key to restoring cognitive functions in older patients and those who have dementia.(A)

Scientists who have studied rats aim to begin similar trials on patients who have dementia from their discovery of an asthma drug which reduced brain inflammation as well as increasing neuron growth in their rats. According to these research findings, the drug that prevents asthma attacks could be the key to rejuvenating the aging process of the human brain. (B)

This drug is called 'montelukast' which improves memory and learning in older rodents whose performance matched those of younger animals in the cognitive tests performed.  In other words, it is a an anti-asthmatic drug that antagonizes leukotriene receptors which reduces neuronal inflammation, increases neurogenesis in the hippocamous, while improving memory and learning in older animals. This study demonstrated that through the inhibition of GPR17 receptor is mediated by using knockout gene approaches. (A)

The way in which montelukast works is through a combination of a decrease in brain inflammation and the growth of new neurons in the hippocampus. Although, performance of older rats improved the younger rats were not affected by the drug (in other words their performance did not improve but stayed the same). Now, the goal is to start clinical trails on patients with dementia. With age, the human brain functions decrease and can be clearly seen through symptoms of memory loss, decline in cognitive skills, decreased growth of formation of new brain cells, and gradual increase in inflammation of the brain. (B)

The reason as to why these scientists decided to research the affects of montelukast on the brain is because with patients who have asthma this inexpensive drug blocks inflammation. If this drug- that linked biological pathways to asthma- could decrease the various inflammatory conditions in the body, then there is a possibility that montelukast could perform the same functions and have the same affects on the human brain. (B)

RESEARCH:
Rats were given daily doses of montelukast. There were two age groups: four month old rats (equivalent to children/young adults in humans) to 20 month old rats( equivalent in age to 65-70 year old humans). Although the older rats did not have dementia, their brain functions showed a very similar decline as to those of older individual humans. Both groups of rats were trained to find within a pool a submerged platform. Once 5 days passed, the older rats were still uncertain about the location of the platform. Those that were given the drug, found the submerged platform almost as well as the younger rodents. (B)  

Two days were used as a break from training. Then, the next day the rats were lowered into the pool once more to look for the platform. The older animals had a difficult time remembering where the platform was. Those who were on the drug had better memory and found it almost as quickly as the younger animals. More tests were conducted to see how the rodents demeanor changed if familiar objects in their cages were moved from one place to another. The younger ones tended to spend more time observing the moved objects as did the older rats who were given the drug. The scientists linked this behavior to these rodents having better memory of the objects original positions. (B)

CONCLUSION: 
Results showed that the brains of the older rats that were on the drug had more new neurons and less inflammation than those who received the placebo.  The results of this study is very hopeful for those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases but more research has to be conducted in order for scientists to be sure of the benefits this drug will have on patients. (B)

 “The approach of repurposing existing drugs is a promising one as it could mean new treatments for dementia become available in half of the time of a standard drug - bringing hope to hundreds of thousands. Through our drug discovery program, Alzheimer’s Society is currently co-funding a clinical trial into the arthritis drug Etanercept, which could work in a similar way by reducing inflammation in the brain.(B)
Since life expectancy has increased, more and more age related cognitive illnesses have become more common. This represents a great challenge to physicians, researchers, and scientists alike to find cures for these chronic diseases and ways in which they can better treat individuals with such age related cognitive difficulties.

Links:
(A)http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/151027/ncomms9466/full/ncomms9466.html
(B) http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/oct/27/asthma-drug-could-rejuvenate-ageing-brains-study-suggests

 *Please note! These images are not mine. They were found on various tumblr, pinterest, google image sites! If any are yours’ please let me know so that I can give you credit for them! Also the people in the images have no relation to the diseases, illnesses, or cancers I write about. Thanks so much & enjoy~ Screenshots by: google images

5 comments:

  1. I am Ama Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Professionalist.

    Today I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel and if you like you can reach her there and ask her any questions you have.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know is that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; drutuherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M Kelly FROM KENTUCKY.
    I wanna thank God for Using Dr. Odey Abang to restore my son's Happiness. He came from school crying that he was diagnosed of Herpes and his teacher and the Physician Therapist told him he could not get a cure rather living on drugs, he never talk to us about it anymore not knowing he plans committing suicide . I had to monitor him and explain to him that he should manage the prescribes ACYCLOVIR, , FAMCICLOVIR and the VALACYCLOVIR.
    4 months later, he told me about an Herbalist who he heard curing people from online and he sents through the DHL service. Not quite long,he brought his phone, had to speak with the Herbalist and explain how my son had really felt and desperate in need of the cures, he assured me with no site effects after taking the medicine and promise to do as he said, 5 days later, t medicine arrived, applied as instructed and within two weeks to finish,I had my son told me he was wondering why all this while,they have not approved the cures of which doctor ODEY told him he Cures.
    Rest assured, after the checkup, he tested negative and his smiles was being restored.
    supriesed Herpes could be Cured!!!☔💯
    If you're in trouble of health
    HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, Herpetites, KIDNEY PROBLEM, INFERTILITY, INFECTIONS, IRREGULAR MESTURATION, WEEK ERECTION, CANCER ETC
    ALL THIS ARE CURABLE WITH HERBAL REMEDIES BY FROM DR. ODEY ABANG
    Kindly contact him for more information on health and Safety solutions @
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  3. Yes!!! Herpes is curable like wise other viruses. My outbreak came out of Herpes past two years as of 19/05/2018. I was scared when phamatical therepist told me i could not be cured permanently. I was frustrated, have to limit my traveling to where i was expected. HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUSE, and other common viruses like the HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, CANCER,etc,are real and dangerous if not well taken care of. Though, i suffered alots and i have to stay home mostly and with the current pandemic, i became interested with Natural Herbs Products. As God could make his ways, i found a beautiful girl,who testimony touches me how she has had suffered with CANCER for 7years, and another who testify how the same Herbalist Dr. Odey Abang Cures all those viruses with his Herbal medicine.
    I had to contact him directly to wellbeing some parcel through the DHL service, within a week a received the medicine sent and apply as instructed for the period of 40days, twice a day, the reaction tells me i found the Dr. Whom need to be known for his good work. God bless you Dr Odey for another opportunity to be Fresh
    Contact him for assistance guidance and solutions to much health challenges

    Email-
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
    Whatsapp
    +2348140437763

    His medicine are very effective and could get rid your viruse and cleans up your immune system, within a week of purchase

    ReplyDelete

  4. Good work of Dr. Odey Abang. The great herbalist who had given more hope and opportunities to lives if people whom I had successful cure from herpes, HIV, diabetes, Cancer, and all such of diseases and infection. I'm fortune to be alive to share to you this great testimony. I had been making use of the ancyclovir,.......I made use of over 7 years it really helps in fighting the virus in my immune system...but as God could make his way during testimony program in my church RCCG in my parish, I had a testify who testify with tears of joy to let everyone suffering from the obove mentioned illness to quickly contact a great and powerful west Africa herbalist for possible cured.. Haven try so many online but no result..with time I had a thought to try his medicine. I requested for the mail and contacted him with details and evidence of my health challenges..I was willing to pay anything to get cured and restore my dignity. Glory to God I was cured after 21 days I received the medicine through the GIG logistics.. I'm so happy now.
    Please get in touch to be happy again..
    Herpes isn't a death sentence.
    Please let others know about him through
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herpes outbreak is a dreaded virus that oath to be treated with immediate effects. The painful sores in the oral and genital regions are so embarrassing. I wish the world could let the phamatical therapist let the cures comes instead of being diagnosed and still living with Herpes for as many years os possible making use of prevention. My experiences online let me know about the benefits of using Herbal Medicine. I felt shy to purchase from the stores, but with them i tried to and made used of different Herbal remedies all to no avail. My 4th trial with Herbal Medicine from Dr. Akpu power let me yo understand there still good people out there who still got cures for Herpes, HIV HPV diabetes and many others Dr. Akpu is now in everyone ones libs though he had refuses to be disclose and brought over here in the states because of the fear of death. I knew this up to to something true there wouldn't let the Africa comes out with the cure
    I was desperate in need of the medicine, so i had to try he's as well, I got peac now since 4 months Dr. Akpu made the cure for me
    Fo not be left alone, Herpes has cure
    Believe me i can come out if Dr. Akpu has let me to proof more on this
    Yours is next with Dr. Akpu power
    Asap on
    Email
    dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete