Friday, November 6, 2015

Cystic Fibrosis: 2020 Gene Therapy

Cystic Fibrosis (aka: Muco-viscidosis) is a genetic disorder that affects the lungs as well as the pancreas, liver, kidneys, and the intestines. Individuals with CF have difficulty breathing, cough up mucus as a result of frequent lung infections, sinus infections, poor growth, fatty stool, clubbing of fingers and toes, and infertility in males. (There are many other symptoms) (B) The degrees in which people with CF have the symptoms listed above varies on a case by case basis. This chronic disease is inherited as an autosomal recessive way where there are mutations in both copies of a gene for the CF transmembrane conductance regulator protein. (CFTR) Those who have a single copy are carriers of the disease and are normal functioning/looking individuals. As of today, there is no cure for CF and lung infections are treated with antibiotics that can be received intravenously, inhaled, or by the mouth. (B) 

Introduction: 

In 1989, scientists failed to find a cure for cystic fibrosis although the faulty gene that causes CF was located. But with the use of experimental gene therapy (a technique where copies of normal genes are inserted into the cells DNA to counter the effects of the faulty gene) is giving hope for individuals suffering from CF. (C) Cystic Fibrosis (being the most common life-threatening inherited disease especially in the UK, shorting lives of many) was an early and clear target for scientists to further investigate gene therapy when the mutated gene that causes it.The results of a year-long trial showed only a small and variable improvement in the lung capacity of those children and adults who took part, but scientists now believe they have proved gene therapy is possible in treating cystic fibrosis. (A) After years of attempting to develop gene therapy for CF, recent research shows that a treatment for CF might be available within the next 5 years. Although results of first trial were ‘modest and variable’, second bigger trial aims to combine gene therapy with other treatments for longer term benefits. With more work, researchers say that they will be able to at least help stabilize these patients. (A) 

Research: 

The Royal Bromptom and Harefield NHS Foundation Tust and the NHS Lothian came together in 2001 to develop a gene therapy which was supported by the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. They were able to develop a technique where patients could breathe in molecules of DNA where a normal copy of the defective gene could travel to the cells of the lung. A trial of a total of 136 patients (ages 12 and older) showed results of better lung functioning in those who were given the gene therapy. This was the first demonstration that repeated gene therapy to improve lung function. Eric Alton (coordinator of UK Cystic Fibrosis Gene Therapy Consortium) stated that, “The effects were modest and variable. This is not yet ready for clinical use for those reasons. (A)” At Western General Hospital and the Royal Bromptom half of their patients were treated with gene therapy and the other half were give saline. Those with the best results were those who suffered from the worst lung function. The mucus obstructs the smaller airways so that most of the doses end up in the larger airways instead. Those with milder lung troubles would have to receive a larger dose to get the same results. (A) Unfortunately, the scientists were unable to make permanent changes to the faulty gene. According to the trial published in the 'Journal of Lancet Respiratory Medicine' patients were dosed only once a month and soon realized that increasing the dosages showed a direct correlation to improved results. In larger trials the goal will be to combine gene therapy with other treatments. (A) A new trial may be able to give patients benefits that last much longer through the injection of a specially engineered virus rather than injecting them in fat globules (aka: the method physicians use today in treating CF) This form of treatment was not considered much because repeated dosages treatment through a virus would cause the immune system to reject it. If the next trial shows a bigger benefit, said Alton, it would be feasible to have a treatment to improve lung function available for patients by the end of the decade. The aim would be to prevent damage to the lungs occurring. (A) “The lungs must be one of the worst possible organs to go for,” said Alton. “They are so extremely well-defended. With bone marrow you can take it out, do the gene transfer in controlled conditions in the laboratory and put it back in the patient. That is the low-hanging fruit. We have gone for the high-hanging fruit but I’m not at all sorry we have.(A)” 

Concluding Remarks:

Since gene therapy is still such an experimental process where there are very few treatments discovered through this technique which only apply to very rare diseases, there needs to be continuous investments, innovative approaches to genetic research, and creating advancements for diseases such as CF which cuts many young people's lives. There is no doubt that this study with experimental gene therapy is inspiring scientists and physicians world wide to explore more of this technique to target other genetic conditions as well as cancer.

Links:
(A)http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jul/03/gene-therapy-cystic-fibrosis-2020-scientists
(B) wiki/CF
(C)http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/thecure/2015/08/gene-therapy-cystic-fibrosis-150817115228509.html

*These images do not belong to me- They were found on various tumblr sites! If any are yours please let me know so that I can give you credit for them! Thanks so much~

6 comments:

  1. I am happy as Dr. Benson sensitive treatment of Cystic fibrosis (CF) touched me deeply. I have suffered from Cystic fibrosis (CF) for twenty+ years after i have gone through surgery in 2012 and I have just figured out a Dr. which help me live a safer and less painful life after my family Doctor asked me to go for a second surgery. Don't ever lose hope. I am 41 and a mother of one now , Sure, it has been challenging, and there have been many ups and downs, but I went to internet got Dr. Benson contact I contacted him and he sent me the permanent cure to it,which I used for one month. and now i am having pretty normal life now. This is not the end of the world if you having Cystic fibrosis (CF). he can help you. The medication it taste natural. And most of all, I want to tell you that you need to learn to love yourself just the way you are- you are a special person that deserves love. Never never never give up!!!!
    Contact Dr Benson on drbenson833@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though i haven't met DR AIWEKHOE but i have being hearing and seeing his
    wonderful deeds on people's life.. This made me contacted him because i was
    also diagnosed of herpes virus, When i contacted Him, without wasting time, he
    started his Miraculous work in my Life, I am happy and Glad to say that i
    am now cured after using his herbal Medicine.. You can also reach him
    draiwekhoespiritualtemple@gmail..com or reach him on +2348102960248 he also
    special on curing
    1...HERPES CURE
    2...ALS CURE
    3..HIV CURE
    4.EPILEPSY
    5...PROMOTION IN THE OFFICE
    6...LOVE SPELL
    7>>EX BACK


    ReplyDelete

  3. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the people all over the world on how i was cured of herpes disease by Dr Oduku. I'm from USA, i was living with herpes for the past two years, just last month as i was browsing on the internet about this deadly disease, i saw a testimony of somebody called Jason, testifying of how he was cured from herpes by Dr Oduku and i decided to also email this Dr Oduku via odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com and tell him about my problem, he told me to send him some of my personal details which i did and then he prepare the treatments and send them to me through DHL. he give me the instructions on how to use the treatment for 21 days and after 14 days, he told me to go for herpes test which i did and to my greatest surprise i was confirmed negative. all thanks be to Dr Oduku and God almighty for curing me of this deathly disease after 2 years and if you know that you are in this same problem email him now via email odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com & https://naturalherbalremedyblog.wordpress.com or WhatsApp +2349064430408 and i strongly believe that he will help you just as he did mine.


    ReplyDelete

  4. Hello i'm Jennifer Benson am giving a testimony about Dr.Afrid the great herbal doctor, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes simplex virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes simplex virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I thought of it, then I contact Dr.Afrid email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it through Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 week's after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes simplex virus negative, if you are herpes simplex virus patient do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you..drafridherbalhome@gmail.com or you may call or whatsApp him for directives via or WhatsApp +2349057260738 and all your health problem will be solve for a better life.stay bless my friends. you can still search the Google to know more of his product!!https://drafridherbalhome.webs.com

    ReplyDelete